Project Definition : Implement a portal to enhance teaching, collaboration,
communication, and services for students, faculty and staff
Project Objectives :
- Create a single point of entry for access to Datatel and other web based applications used by the district and colleges.
- Improve the reliability and timeliness of communications with students.
- Eliminate ISP's spamming complaints.
- Send out fewer emails through Datatel.
- Support a single sign-on environment for faculty and staff to access district services.
Project Description : Evaluate and select a portal that works
with the district's Datatel ERP system. Define district requirements for staff, faculty and students and implement the selected portal based on input from constituency groups.
Project Sponsors :
- Victoria Hindes, VP of Student Services, West Valley College
- Penny Johnson, VP of Student Services, Mission College
- Portal software must be purchased by
June 30, 2010: Completed
- Portal steering committee defined in Enrollment Technology subgroup -
Feb 19: Completed
- Portal Sponsors defined : Penny Johnson and Victoria Hindes: Completed
- Student, Faculty and Staff myWebServices logins recreated : August 2010 : Completed
- Test portal installed : August 2010 : Completed
- Expand district resources (such as ISSA and AD) to enable offsite logins to portal : September 2010 : waiting for Budget
- Portal kickoff meeting : September 2010
- Production servers installed : October 2010 : Completed
- Datatel Mobile App : Initial instance installed after production portal is installed.
- First phase of portal released : Spring 2011
Project Benefits : Enhanced services and communication through integrated access to information needed by students, faculty and staff.
Project Scope :
- Install the selected portal (Datatel Portal)
- Implement access to Datatel WebUI through Portal
- Implement single Sign-on to linked applications where supported.
- Integrate internal communication with students through portal.
- Install custom landing web part pages for student, faculty and staff constituencies.
- Ensure compliance with current branding for district and each college.
Deliverables : A functional Datatel portal running in a production environment with an initially agreed upon set of constituencies, web parts (functionality) and links.
Project Assumptions :
- Branding will be separate for WV and MC student pages.
- Web parts will be common for a given constutency (i.e. Students) across the two colleges.
- Team sites will be administered by a designated site owner
Project Issues :
- Define Constituencies
- Define boundaries between distance learning and course team sites.
- Do we want to enable department teamsites? Define boundaries with
- Define username format for single sign-on (LDAP). Complete
- How will LDAP for faculty and staff integrate with existing active
- Populate faculty and staff emails inside Datatel.
- Set up GMAIL API's for student portal emailbox creation.
- Ongoing Project Question document
Current Status :
- Datatel Portal has been purchased.
- Defining requirements
- Victoria Hindes and Penny Johnson have been identified as Project Owners.
- Test Portal instance installed week of August 9, 2010 : Complete August 2010
- Portal demos for MC Executive Staff, MC and WV Instructional Offices, MC and WV Tech Depts : Complete August 2010
- Student Messaging subgroup created and initial meeting to document system requirements. Complete Sept 13, 2010
- Taxonomy and Governance Groups defined, training is being arranged. September 15, 2010
- Production Portal software installation scheduled - October 12 - 14, 2010 : Complete Oct 14, 2010
- Portal Taxonomy and Governance Groups training November 2-4, 2010
Useful Links :
Status Date : Monday, November 1, 2010